Friday, August 10, 2007

Elul: Prepare for Rosh Hashanah

Elul 1 (August 15th this year) is the start of the preparation leading up to Rosh Hashanah.

Here are some things to note about Elul:

the word “Elul” means “search.”

It is customary to blow the shofar every morning (except on Shabbat) from Rosh Hodesh Elul (the first day of the month) until the day before Rosh Hashanah.

It is the 12th month (12 being the number for government) (or the 6th if you use Nissan as the first, six which stands for man, either way it’s a multiple)

Divine mercy & forgiveness, a return, spiritual introspection, dedication to God as Judge and King and Repentance are themes…

Jewish tradition believes YHWH is more accessible during this period of time and the high Holy days.

What does the name Elul mean? It is take from Song of Songs 6:3 “I am my beloved’s am my beloved is mine”

· According to the Mishna, the first of Elul, was to be considered a Rosh Hashanah (beginning of a new year) in respect to the tithing of animals (Rosh Hashanah 1:1). In ancient times, this designation gave a clear date from which to determine your yearly donation of animals for the priestly class. However, in post-Temple times this custom fell out of practice, and no symbolic replacement was made.

· One of the sections that is repeated many times both in this service and then later in the high holiday liturgy is the passage enumerating the thirteen attributes of mercy. In the original text from Exodus, Moses asks God for permission to "see" God face to face:

Ex. 33:18-23: He [Moses] said [to God], "Oh, let me behold Your Presence!" And He answered,

"I will make all My goodness pass before you, and I will proclaim before you the name LORD,

and the grace that I grant and the compassion that I show. But," He said, "you cannot see My

face, for man may not see Me and live." And the LORD said, "See, there is a place near Me.

Station yourself on the rock and, as My Presence passes by, I will put you in a cleft of the rock

and shield you with My hand until I have passed by. Then I will take My hand away and you

will see My back; but My face must not be seen."

The Baal ShemTov called the days of Elul the days when the King is in the field. He explained with a parable. Normally, in order to gain an audience with the King, one must go through a lengthy procedure. He must travel to the capitol city, arrange an appointment, and then get permission to enter the palace. Even when permission is granted is may be days or weeks before he is finally allowed to enter. When he does finally get to see the King, the audience is likely to be short and very formal. The citizen, not used to the royal surroundings doubtlessly feels out of place, and maybe even regrets his decision to see the King. From his great fear and uneasiness, he may forget to put his request before the King.

Once a year, the King leaves his capitol to visit the various regions of his Kingdom. Now a King can't just enter a city unannounced. When he reaches the outskirts of the city he is to visit, his entourage sets up a camp while a special delegation goes ahead to the city to make preparations. for the King's visit.

In the meantime, the King is in the field; relaxed and enjoying the early fall weather. He doesn't stand on the same formality that he does when in the palace. The common folk are allowed to come out to greet the King and receive his blessing.
Psalm 27 is read each day. There are several significant lines from the 27th Psalm:

Psalm 27

1The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?

2When the wicked, even mine enemies and my foes, came upon me to eat up my flesh, they stumbled and fell.

3Though an host should encamp against me, my heart shall not fear: though war should rise against me, in this will I be confident.

4One thing have I desired of the LORD, that will I seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the LORD, and to enquire in his temple.

5For in the time of trouble he shall hide me in his pavilion: in the secret of his tabernacle shall he hide me; he shall set me up upon a rock.

6And now shall mine head be lifted up above mine enemies round about me: therefore will I offer in his tabernacle sacrifices of joy; I will sing, yea, I will sing praises unto the LORD.

7Hear, O LORD, when I cry with my voice: have mercy also upon me, and answer me.

8When thou saidst, Seek ye my face; my heart said unto thee, Thy face, LORD, will I seek.

9Hide not thy face far from me; put not thy servant away in anger: thou hast been my help; leave me not, neither forsake me, O God of my salvation.

10When my father and my mother forsake me, then the LORD will take me up.

11Teach me thy way, O LORD, and lead me in a plain path, because of mine enemies.

12Deliver me not over unto the will of mine enemies: for false witnesses are risen up against me, and such as breathe out cruelty.

13I had fainted, unless I had believed to see the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living.

14Wait on the LORD: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the LORD.

Blessings,

Tony

No comments: