Monday, June 2, 2008

Wives, Wells & Wormholes

Wives, Wells & Wormholes

Abraham is clearly a special man even among the kings and patriarchs. Scripture having at least 3 layers (historic, moral and prophetic), we take a look into the “archetypes” that the wife-sister narratives in Genesis.

At times we may feel small and insignificant especially compared to an Almighty Creator who is Sovereign over the entire Universe. One thing to remember is that with God it is “a family affair”. Angels were created like “sons” and with that came the rebellion of one son – Satan. Also, with his son Jesus came the redemption of mankind foretold before the beginning of the world.

In Revelation 21 God promises the one who overcomes the opportunity to be a son. We also have the promise to become a bride. These are the two terms God has referred to Israel, as a wife or as a son. I think we can feel these things “deep down”. Every man wants to be a true son to our Great Father and every woman wants to be a “bride” to her husband – a true beauty to be admired. We see this relationship in the Sun (Father), the Earth (Adam was created from the dust of the Earth) and Moon which has no light of its own but is a beauty in reflecting the Sun’s light (Eve was taken from Adam’s side). I’ve written much more on this relationship in Rapture: Empty Hourglass I & II.

All of this is important to the archetype that we’ll be looking at. Abram’s wife is Sarai and when God wants to show us emphasis He always does things in 3’s. There are 3 situations in Genesis where a wife gets called a “sister” in the protection of her husband. This happens two times with Abraham and once with Isaac. Let’s see what we can learn!

Wife-Sister Narrative I

We pick up this story in Genesis 12. My comments will be in blue.

Abram is a “type” of God the Father
Sarai is a “type” of Israel

Genesis 12
Abram and Sarai in Egypt
10Now(L) there was a famine in the land. So Abram went down to Egypt to sojourn there, for the famine was severe in the land.

Famine’s occur when God is about to change things. This famine parallels the famine which caused Jacob to move to Egypt with his son Joseph.

11When he was about to enter Egypt, he said to Sarai his wife, "I know that you are a woman beautiful in appearance, 12and when the Egyptians see you, they will say, 'This is his wife.' Then they(M) will kill me, but they will let you live. 13Say you are my sister, that it may go well with me because of you, and that my life may be spared for your sake."

Joseph when he went to Egypt became prominent after he foretold Pharaoh’s dreams. In this way Israel was “beautiful” to the Egyptians and Israel is a type of wife to YHWH. Abraham standing for YHWH or God the Father in saying “killing” means that the Egyptians would not fully accept him as their God (which was not His purpose).

14When Abram entered Egypt, the Egyptians saw that the woman was very beautiful. 15And when the princes of Pharaoh saw her, they praised her to Pharaoh. And the woman was taken into Pharaoh’s house. 16And for her sake he dealt well with Abram; and he had sheep, oxen, male donkeys, male servants, female servants, female donkeys, and camels. All this foreshadows Joseph.
17But the LORD(N) afflicted Pharaoh and his house with great plagues because of Sarai, Abram’s wife.
This foreshadows the 10 plagues of Egypt. Notice this happens in a “physical” way which will contrast what happens later in our other narratives.
18So Pharaoh called Abram and said, "What is this you have done to me? Why did you not tell me that she was your wife? 19Why did you say, 'She is my sister,' so that I took her for my wife? Now then, here is your wife; take her, and go." 20And Pharaoh gave men orders concerning him, and they sent him away with his wife and all that he had.
Prophetically this is the whole story of Joseph, Moses & Israel and the Exodus – Amazing!
Notice this happens in chapter 12 and of course Israel and there are the 12 tribes. The Lord afflicts Pharaoh in verse 17 which is 10 for ten plagues, ordinal completion + 7 spiritual intervention/completion. 18 which is 6 + 6 + 6 is Pharaoh’s answer. 19 the number for judgment is the release and 20 which is the number for ordinal completion.
After this The Lord promises Abram in chapter 13:
14The LORD said to Abram, after Lot had separated from him, "Lift up your eyes and look from the place where you are,(O) northward and southward and eastward and westward, 15for all the land that you see I will give(P) to you and(Q) to your offspring forever. 16(R) I will make your offspring as the dust of the earth, so that if one can count the dust of the earth, your offspring also can be counted. 17Arise, walk through the length and the breadth of the land, for I will give it to you."
Notice that the promise is for the land and his offspring is as the “dust of the earth”. It is directly in relation to Israel.
This whets my appetite to see what we can learn from the two other narratives…




Wife-Sister Narrative II

Before we get to the next narrative there are some important changes.
In Chapter 15 YHWH gives Abraham a new promise
5And he brought him outside and said, "Look toward heaven, and(E) number the stars, if you are able to number them." Then he said to him,(F) "So shall your offspring be." 6And(G) he believed the LORD, and(H) he counted it to him as righteousness.
Now YHWH has given Abraham a new promise of his offspring comparing them to the stars of the sky. This is an inheritance of the Universe vs. the dust of the earth – an earthly inheritance.
In Chapter 17 YHWH there is a name change. Abram is now Abraham and Sarai is now Sarah. YHWH is showing us differences in dispensations and his called people groups.

1When Abram was ninety-nine years old the LORD appeared to Abram and said to him, "I am God Almighty;[a] walk before me, and be(A) blameless, 2that I may make my covenant between me and you, and(B) may multiply you greatly." 3Then Abram(C) fell on his face. And God said to him, 4"Behold, my covenant is with you, and you shall be(D) the father of a multitude of nations. 5No longer shall your name be called Abram,[b] but(E) your name shall be Abraham,[c](F) for I have made you the father of a multitude of nations. 6I will make you exceedingly fruitful, and I will make(G) you into nations, and(H) kings shall come from you. 7And I will(I) establish my covenant between me and you and your offspring after you throughout their generations for an everlasting covenant,(J) to be God to you and to your offspring after you.
There will be a day when we walk in front of the Lord and shall be made to be blameless. This is an inheritance to be given as is to be kings. YHWH did indeed make Abraham the father of Nations.
This next narrative is more complicated and has more pieces to it that the first one. Let’s move through one passage at a time to break it down.
Genesis 20
Abraham and Abimelech
1From there Abraham journeyed toward the territory of the Negeb and lived between(A) Kadesh and Shur; and he(B) sojourned in(C) Gerar. 2And Abraham said of Sarah his wife,(D) "She is my sister." And Abimelech king of Gerar sent and took Sarah.

Sarah again is proclaimed a “sister” and Abimelech takes her.

3(E) But God came to Abimelech(F) in a dream by night and said to him, "Behold, you are a dead man because of the woman whom you have taken, for she is a man’s wife." 4Now Abimelech had not approached her. So he said,(G) "Lord, will you kill an innocent people? 5Did he not himself say to me, 'She is my sister'? And she herself said, 'He is my brother.' In the integrity of my heart and the innocence of my hands I have done this." 6Then God said to him in the dream, "Yes, I know that you have done this in the integrity of your heart, and it was I who kept you from sinning(H) against me. Therefore I did not let you touch her. 7Now then, return the man’s wife,(I) for he is a prophet, so that he will pray for you, and you shall live. But if you do not return her, know that you shall surely die, you(J) and all who are yours."

Abimelech is much different than Pharaoh. Abimelech is a Philistine. Egypt is a type of word/earth secular/man system. Everything is physical and the plagues were physical. With Abimelech YHWH comes to him in a dream. This is spiritual. The Philistines stand for demonic/spiritual foes. It was Goliath, a Philistine who descended from the Nephilim that David defeated.
8So Abimelech rose early in the morning and called all his servants and told them all these things. And the men were very much afraid. 9Then Abimelech called Abraham and said to him, "What have you done to us? And how have I sinned against you, that you have brought on me and my kingdom a great sin? You have done to me things that ought not to be done." 10And Abimelech said to Abraham, "What did you see, that you did this thing?" 11Abraham said, "I did it because I thought,(K) There is no fear of God at all in this place, and(L) they will kill me because of my wife. 12Besides,(M) she is indeed my sister, the daughter of my father though not the daughter of my mother, and she became my wife. 13And when(N) God caused me to wander from my father’s house, I said to her, 'This is the kindness you must do me: at every place to which we come,(O) say of me, He is my brother.'"
14Then Abimelech(P) took sheep and oxen, and male servants and female servants, and gave them to Abraham, and returned Sarah his wife to him. 15And Abimelech said, "Behold,(Q) my land is before you; dwell where it pleases you." 16To Sarah he said, "Behold, I have given(R) your brother a thousand pieces of silver. It is(S) a sign of your innocence in the eyes of all[a] who are with you, and before everyone you are vindicated." 17Then(T) Abraham prayed to God, and God healed Abimelech, and also healed his wife and female slaves so that they bore children. 18For the LORD(U) had closed all the wombs of the house of Abimelech because of Sarah, Abraham’s wife.
It’s a little harder to explain all of this and I won’t speculate to much because there is so much other information that we can easily discern. The pieces of silver relate to Jesus. Also, remember that Sarah’s womb was closed but just as Abimelech’s women’s wombs were opened so was Sarah’s.
Right after this passage is the birth of Isaac in chapter 21. Remember 20 (10 X 2) stands for ordinal completion and 21 (7 X 3) for spiritual completion so the chapter numbering fits. Hagar and Ishmael are sent away. Hagar and Ishmael nearly die in the desert when God saves them:
17And God heard the voice of the boy, and the angel of God called to Hagar from heaven and said to her, "What troubles you, Hagar? Fear not, for God has heard the voice of the boy where he is. 18Up! Lift up the boy, and hold him fast with your hand, for I will make him into a great nation." 19Then(Q) God opened her eyes, and she saw a well of water. And she went and filled the skin with water and gave the boy a drink.
Notice the well which God opened her eyes to. Wells are spiritual “wormholes” or passages into the spiritual realm. Don’t believe it? I don’t blame, you but keep following and you’ll see more evidence. To be clear, I’m not saying that you can find any old well, jump into it and end up somewhere else. But it is obvious that wells are significant places where spiritual intervention takes place. Before I lose you let me give you some Biblical examples and then we’ll move on to part II of this story which involves wells (this is why I want to get your attention on this subject). Joseph, a model of Jesus is thrown down a well and ultimately ends up in Egypt. Canaan, the promised land and type of heaven is where he started he went down the well and ended up in Egypt a type of this earth/world. Isaac’s wife was found at a well, Jacob first saw Rachel, his beloved wife at a well and Jesus talks with the woman at the well, a type of church of which she refers to Jacob’s well. Well, well, well – hopefully all our eyes are beginning to open up a bit…
Abraham and Abimelech (Part II, still in chapter 21)
A Treaty with Abimelech
22At that time(S) Abimelech and Phicol the commander of his army said to Abraham,(T) "God is with you in all that you do. 23Now therefore swear to me here by God that you will not deal falsely with me or with my descendants or with my posterity, but(U) as I have dealt kindly with you, so you will deal with me and with the land where you have sojourned." 24And Abraham said, "I will swear."
25When Abraham reproved Abimelech about a well of water that Abimelech’s servants(V) had seized, 26Abimelech said, "I do not know who has done this thing; you did not tell me, and I have not heard of it until today." 27So Abraham took sheep and oxen and gave them to Abimelech, and the two men(W) made a covenant. 28Abraham set seven ewe lambs of the flock apart.
Notice the lambs which relate to Jesus and 7 being God’s number denoting spiritual completion.
29And Abimelech said to Abraham, "What is the meaning of these seven ewe lambs that you have set apart?" 30He said, "These seven ewe lambs you will take from my hand, that this[c] may be a witness for me that I dug this well." 31Therefore(X) that place was called Beersheba,[d] because there both of them swore an oath. 32So they made a covenant at Beersheba. Then Abimelech and Phicol the commander of his army rose up and returned to the land of the Philistines. 33Abraham planted a tamarisk tree in Beersheba and(Y) called there on the name of the LORD,(Z) the Everlasting God. 34And Abraham sojourned many days in the land of the Philistines.
The tree stands for the cross of Jesus. Somehow there were two agreements between Satan & YHWH. Yes YHWH does not “need” Satan in any way, but if you don’t think they make agreements then read the first part of Job again. This whole dispensation of 7,000 years is about the argument between Satan and YHWH being carried out.
In Chapter 22 Isaac is sacrificed. Abraham in the physical wanted the well. In the spiritual we get insight to know that YHWH the Father wanted the well and carried out His plan to sacrifice His son “…for God so loved the world that He sacrificed His only son…” and this is played out by Abraham and Isaac in chapter 22. This is one of the most “famous” archetypes giving us insight, but there are many more. Beginning to see what I mean about wells? I hope so.
…moving on to the third wife-sister narrative which is with Issac who stands for Jesus. Isaac had received his bride from the servant who found Rebecca by the well. Isaac and Rebecca are well known to be a model for Christ and the Church as well as the Rapture, so this makes it all the more interesting to move forward and see what we can find…
Genesis 26
God’s Promise to Isaac
1Now there was a famine in the land, besides(A) the former famine that was in the days of Abraham.

Another famine has happened just like the first one that occurred with Abram.

And Isaac went to Gerar to(B) Abimelech king of the(C) Philistines.

But this one does not involve Egypt (earth/world) but spiritual because it is with the Philistines (spiritual).

2And the LORD appeared to him and said, "Do not go down to Egypt; dwell(D) in the land of which I shall tell you. 3(E) Sojourn in this land, and(F) I will be with you and will bless you, for(G) to you and to your offspring I will give all these lands, and I will establish(H) the oath that I swore to Abraham your father. 4(I) I will multiply your offspring as the stars of heaven and will give to your offspring all these lands. And(J) in your offspring all the nations of the earth shall be blessed, 5because(K) Abraham obeyed my voice and kept my charge, my commandments, my statutes, and my laws."

YHWH reiterates His promise to Isaac and tells him not to go down to Egypt and also uses the “stars of heaven” as the analogy also denoting spiritual and the heavens vs. earth, dust and Egypt.
Isaac and Abimelech
6So Isaac settled in Gerar. 7When the men of the place asked him about his wife,(L) he said, "She is my sister," for(M) he feared to say, "My wife," thinking, "lest the men of the place should kill me because of Rebekah," because(N) she was attractive in appearance.

Here is the wife-sister narrative…

8When he had been there a long time, Abimelech king of the Philistines looked out of a window and saw Isaac laughing with[a] Rebekah his wife.

This time is different yet from the other times. The first time was handled with plagues on Egypt. The second time it was a dream. Both had threats of harm attached to them. This time Abimelech sees Isaac with what he is sure is his wife and not his sister through a “window”. Just like “wells” in the Bible other terms can give us insight. In this instance a window is like an opening from the spiritual to the physical to gain sight. We use a window in a house to gain site into the outside world. And so Abimelech used a window to gain insight into the relationship with Isaac and Rebecca.

9So Abimelech called Isaac and said, "Behold, she is your wife. How then could you say, 'She is my sister'?" Isaac said to him, "Because I thought, 'Lest I die because of her.'" 10Abimelech said, "What is this you have done to us? One of the people might easily have lain with your wife, and(O) you would have brought guilt upon us." 11So Abimelech warned all the people, saying, "Whoever touches this man or his wife shall surely be put to death."

This Abimelech (Abimelech may be a direct name, but may also be a title) whether it was the same man or his son learned from the first run-in with Abraham. Abraham and Abimelech had made an oath regarding the wells afterwards and so this Abimelech by his sight through a “window” is proactively making sure the “couple” (Jesus & his bride the Church) are not hurt, not necessarily because he is so good (Philistines stand for dark spiritual forces), but because he already knows the repercussions of disobedience. He gives the order to his subjects not to touch them at all or the penalty will be death.
12And Isaac sowed in that land and reaped in the same year a hundredfold. The LORD(P) blessed him, 13and the man became rich, and gained more and more until he became very wealthy. 14He had possessions of flocks and herds and many servants, so that the Philistines(Q) envied him. 15(Now the Philistines had stopped and filled with earth all the wells(R) that his father’s servants had dug in the days of Abraham his father.) 16And Abimelech said to Isaac, "Go away from us, for you are much mightier than we."
Isaac (standing for Jesus) was richly blessed, just as Jesus has been richly blessed by greater “herds” throughout the Church age. Finally the Philistines (dark forces) can no longer stand it and ask him to “go away”. Notice here again are the wells which really are wormholes. Notice the “dark forces” had stopped them up.
17So Isaac departed from there and encamped in the Valley of Gerar and settled there.
Gerar means “lodging place” and could relate to Jesus when he talks of the “many rooms” and/or similar to the ark.
18And Isaac dug again the wells of water that had been dug in the days of Abraham his father, which the Philistines had stopped after the death of Abraham. And(S) he gave them the names that his father had given them. 19But when Isaac’s servants dug in the valley and found there a well of spring water, 20the herdsmen of Gerar(T) quarreled with Isaac’s herdsmen, saying, "The water is ours." So he called the name of the well Esek,[b] because they contended with him. 21Then they dug another well, and they quarreled over that also, so he called its name Sitnah.[c] 22And he moved from there and dug another well, and they did not quarrel over it. So he called its name Rehoboth,[d] saying, "For now the LORD has made room for us, and we shall be fruitful in the land."
Notice Isaac (Jesus) digging the wells. Water is known to stand for “spirit” and makes sense that it would be in the well. Finally Isaac (Jesus) has success and digs a well and relating to the Rapture what he says should be exciting:
“For now the Lord has made room for us, and we shall be fruitful in the land.”
Maybe this doesn’t make sense to you if you are expecting some “automatic button” to be pushed and Heaven to be clouds and harps. Remember the Promised Land which is a model. It was promised but it had to be taken by faith. So Isaac (Jesus) finds an establishment place for God’s elect.
23From there he went up to Beersheba. 24And the LORD appeared to him the same night and said,(U) "I am the God of Abraham your father.(V) Fear not, for(W) I am with you and will bless you and multiply your offspring for my servant Abraham’s sake." 25So he(X) built an altar there and called upon the name of the LORD and pitched his tent there. And there Isaac’s servants dug a well.
Notice that the reaction to hearing from the LORD is to dig a well. YHWH affirms and gives confidence and they follow with action in digging a well (creating a wormhole).
26When Abimelech went to him from Gerar with Ahuzzath his adviser and(Y) Phicol the commander of his army, 27Isaac said to them, "Why have you come to me, seeing that you hate me and(Z) have sent me away from you?" 28They said, "We see plainly that the LORD has been with you. So we said, let there be a sworn pact between us, between you and us, and let us make a covenant with you, 29that you will do us no harm, just as we have not touched you and have done to you nothing but good and have sent you away in peace.(AA) You are now the blessed of the LORD."
Satan is not stupid he is a survivalist. As God’s word says all will not be done until the end of the Millennium. The Rapture does not end all things. Even at the end of the Millennium Satan and his forces rebel which finally lead us into eternity.
30So he made them a feast, and they ate and drank. 31In the morning they rose early and(AB) exchanged oaths. And Isaac sent them on their way, and they departed from him in peace.
Feasts are set times for oaths. Think you can’t dine with the enemy? What about Esther, Xerxes and Haman. Notice Isaac (Jesus) sent them on their way and they depart in peace. The Millennium is a time for peace.
32That same day Isaac’s servants came and told him about the well that they had dug and said to him, "We have found water." 33He called it Shibah;[e] therefore the name of the city is(AC) Beersheba to this day.
Water, standing for spirit and the “living water” Jesus refers to with the “woman at the well” is necessary for a well to be any good.
34When Esau was forty years old, he took(AD) Judith the daughter of Beeri the Hittite to be his wife, and Basemath the daughter of Elon the Hittite, 35and(AE) they made life bitter[f] for Isaac and Rebekah.
Esau and Jacob were both born from the marriage of Issac and Rebecca and what this all means is a whole other story…
Lots to learn, just in the book of Genesis.

Blessings,

Tony

No comments: