Sunday, June 17, 2007

Abba Means Papa: Happy Father's Day YHWH!

Abba Means Papa

Note to self…Father’s Day is coming soon…time to do my devotional study on fathers…

Biblical list of fathers, let see…there is Abraham…he certainly was a great father - it says here he walked side by side with his son Isaac as they both faced the most daunting task a human could imagine.

How about King David? Even in a household of turmoil he had deep love as a father. Big mistakes, big forgiveness, big love. A heart after God’s for sure.

The Patriarchs are great, but I think we would be remiss if we did not look at Jesus to learn about the greatest father.

What’s that you say? Jesus was the son?

Why yes he was, and he never stopped talking about his Father.

As a young child, Jesus was the star of his own Left Behind Series. At twelve years old he was separated from his earthly parents in the great city of Jerusalem. He told his parents “didn’t you know I had to be in my Father’s house?”* What child doesn’t relish a father’s teaching as he is equipping his children for the great challenges of life that are sure to come?

At some tragic moment, Jesus’ earthly father, Joseph died. Jesus found out firsthand how our Heavenly Father treats the fatherless. Fast-forwarding through an unknown passage of time to Jesus’ baptism we hear the affirmation “…this is my beloved son in whom I am well pleased.”**

Jesus’ Heavenly Father equips, he affirms and makes ready to face the world.

Reading through the Gospels there are two key words as an overflow of Jesus’ heart – “My Father”.

“My Father is always at his work to this very day, and I, too am working.”***** - my Father is a hard worker, Jesus says…

“In my Father’s house are many mansions…”*** - my Father richly provides, Jesus exclaims…

“…the very hairs on your head are numbered”**** - my Father is a protector, I hear Jesus proclaiming…

Jesus wants to share his Father, and wants us to know exactly what he is like. He wants us to have the great love that he has. His heart is pouring out as he explains to his followers that if they have seen him, then they know the Father. “The son can do nothing of himself; he can only do what he sees the Father doing…”*****

Can you see Jesus’ heart? Let’s get out our spiritual paint pallets and bring this picture to our daily lives…

When I’ve become the name on an excel spreadsheet for the Corporation’s latest cuts, I know where to go because my Father knows my anxiety and can provide for all my needs.

When my feelings are getting the best of me because I’m so angry I could yell, or so hurt that I could cry – I can call on His name and he will be a listening ear, a shoulder, a lap…

When I have been despicable in a deeply embarrassing way, as I wipe egg off my face and I walk down a familiar path thinking, this time I’ve surely worn out my welcome. Yet I see my Father running, arms open wide anxious to have me back.

When I just entered my own personal Twilight Zone, problems with complexity intertwined with lethal consequences, he says to me “Come let’s reason together”.

And in our darkest eleventh hour, when there seems there is no hope and we cannot muster up even a mustard seed – we can go to him as Jesus did and say “Abba Father”…

What does Abba mean? Abba means Papa. Happy Father’s Day Papa!


*(Luke 2:49b NIV)
**(Matthew 3:17 KJ)
***(John 14:2a KJ)
****(Matthew 10:30 KJ)
*****(John 5:19a NIV)

No comments: